Sprout Kitchen at Sprout Cooking School and Health Studio today was a hive of activity as the second ‘off the job’ training session of the year was underway. Chef Greg was in charge today as he and his apprentice chefs produced a range of delicious appetizers and salads.
On the menu today was a smorgasbord of appetizers, starting with gazpacho and pear, walnut and rocket salad. Whilst both the dishes were amazing to taste, the winner (in our opinion) was the Gazpacho.
For those unfamiliar with Gazpacho it is a cold Spanish soup made from tomatoes, peppers, and other salad vegetables. The idea of cold soup may sound unappealing to some but on a hot day like today it was exactly what the doctor ordered.
The apprentices all really seemed to enjoy making this deliciously refreshing soup, and if you would like to give it a go as well we managed to snag a copy of the recipe from Chef Greg.
Yield: 1 Litre
1 Continental cucumber (peeled and seeded)
30g Onion (diced)
2 Cloves of Garlic (peeled and chopped)
200g Tomato concasse’
300ml Cold chicken stock
80g Fresh white bread (diced)
250ml Tomato juice
50ml Olive oil
1 Green capsicum (washed and seeded)
Trace of Salt
Trace of White pepper
Trace of Cumin
1/4 Bunch of Chives (chopped)
50g Croutons (diced for garnish)
- Cut one quarter of the cucumber and one quarter of the green capsicum into brunoise (a mixture of finely diced vegetables fried in butter and used to flavour soups and sauces). Mix with 50g tomato concasse’ (tomato that has been peeled, seeded and chopped to specified dimensions) and the chopped chives. Set aside in a bowl to use as garnish.
- Roughly chop the remainder of the cucumber and capsicum. Mix well with the onion, garlic, tomato, stock, bread, tomato juice, vinegar and olive oil.
- Allow the ingredients to marinate for 1 hour then puree in blender.
- Add the cumin and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add the finely cut cucumber, capsicum, tomato and chives and mix well. Chill the soup in the refrigerator.
- Serve the soup ice cold in a chilled bowl garnished with croutons, brunoise of cucumber, tomato concasse ect.
Happy Gazpacho drinking everyone