Hot Cross Buns
Oven temperature 200 degrees
- 14g dried yeast
- 55g caster sugar
- 375ml warm milk
- 600g plain flour
- 5g mixed spice
- 2.5g cinnamon
- 60g butter
- 1 egg
- 120g sultanas
- 75g plain flour
- 15g castor sugar
- 80ml water
- 20g sugar
- 5g gelatine
- 5g water
1. Combine yeast, sugar and milk in small bowl.
2. Cover and stand for 10 minutes or until activated
3. Sift flour and spices into a large bowl, rub in butter.
4. Combine flour mixture with yeast mixture, eggs and sultanas.
5. Mix to a sticky dough
6. Cover and stand for 45 minutes, until doubled in size.
7. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
8. Line medium sized baking tray with grease proof paper.
9. Turn dough out and knead to for a tight ball
10. Separate dough into 16 even pieces, roll to shape and place on tray.
11. Let rest for 10 minutes or until risen to size.
12. Mix all ingredients for flour paste and place into piping bag.
13. Use flour paste mixture to draw crosses on top of dough before baking for 20 minutes.
14. When cooked remove from oven and rest on cooling rack for 20 minutes.
15. While the buns are cooling mix all ingredients for glaze. (Glaze will need to be heated to dissolve gelatine)
16. When buns are cool to the touch use glaze to evenly coat all tops.